Contact Info
Missouri River Institute
The University of
South Dakota
414 E. Clark Street
Akeley-Lawrence
Science Center
Vermillion, SD 57069
Email: info@mnrrwatertrail.org

Financial support for website development provided by the
Living River Group
of the
Sierra Club

Visitors

counter
 
 
 

  


Site Description:

Calumet Bluff is one of several historic Lewis & Clark campsites in the Missouri River basin. The south side of Gavins Point Dam is built into this steep chalk bluff that the captains described as being "composed of a yellowish red, and brownish clay as hard as chalk, which it much resembles". The Corps of Discovery arrived at Calumet Bluff on August 28th, 1804 on their journey westward that began May 14, 1804. It was here that the group had their first encounter with the Yankton-Sioux Tribe on August 30th, 1804. Lewis and Clark and others counseled with the tribe for two days. During the meeting, Padaniapapi, or Struck by the Ree, was an infant. According to legend, the captains called for the child and wrapped him in an American Flag. Struck by the Ree would later become Chief of the Yankton Sioux Tribe and signator to an 1858 treaty, which ceded land held by the tribe to the US Government and establishing a reservation on the north side of the Missouri River west of Choteau Creek. A monument has been established in honor of this treaty near Greenwood, South Dakota.

Web Link http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/lewisandclark/site30.htm