Contact Info
Missouri River Institute
The University of
South Dakota
414 E. Clark Street
Akeley-Lawrence
Science Center
Vermillion, SD 57069
Email: info@mnrrwatertrail.org

Financial support for website development provided by the
Living River Group
of the
Sierra Club

Visitors

counter
 
 
 

  


Site Description:

Old Baldy, also known as 'The Tower', lies on the south side of the river approximately nine miles downstream of Ft Randall Dam. This unusual rise in topography with its lack of vegetation is quite noticeable in this sparsely developed segment of the Missouri River. Old Baldy can be seen from the river rising about 70 feet above the surrounding hills. The Lewis and Clark expedition camped near Old Baldy on September 7th, 1804 during their journey west that began on May 14th, 1804. It was here that the expedition discovered a colony of prairie dogs, a species previously unknown to scientists. The group spent much time pouring water down holes in an attempt to capture one of the prairie dogs, they were successful and the captured prairie dog survived the trip back to Washington D.C.

Web Link http://www.lewisandclarktrail.com/section2/sdcities/FortRandallArea/tower.htm